What Ability has a Zero Tolerance policy towards the abuse, negligence, neglect and exploitation of people with disability.
We have developed a range of safeguarding and response systems to ensure that we are actively preventing abuse and neglect and can respond to incidents quickly and professionally.
What Ability is available 24/7 to investigate and resolve incidents. On top of this, the team ensures that each piece of feedback is reviewed and responded to swiftly and discreetly.
What Ability plays a critical role in the prevention of abuse, neglect and negligence.
It is our responsibility to ensure that our users:
– are appropriately screened and verified prior to entering the community
– are educated on abuse and neglect
– Families and carers are provided with support after identifying and reporting incidents of abuse, neglect and exploitation and are not negatively impacted as a result of reporting concerns or providing feedback.
It is also our responsibility to:
– proactively monitor our community for warning signs of abuse, neglect and negligence
– remove barriers to reporting by creating a culture that is open and responsive to feedback, complaints and incident notifications
– respond to reports in a timely, fair and serious manner
– make the mandatory reports to relevant state and territory government departments and regulators in a timely manner.